Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Birthday


Isabella turned three. Since Bill was leaving on Isabella's birthday, they opened up one of her presents early, a Lego house. It took a while to put together (her attention span for the project was around 20 min) but it is finally together. She plays with it now, putting the people and things from the camper van in it.

I did my first solo night. Ian didn't go to sleep until 9 something, then Isabella woke up, so I ended up sandwiched between them at some point. But we all survived and I got them all out the door in the morning.


That night we also opened up presents from Grandpa and Nana, and (accidentally) some from Grandma. And we had a bit of cake. Her birthday dinner consisted of sushi and macaroni and cheese. She of course put the hair clips in and proceeded to have a tea party by fetching water from the bathroom and filling up the cups.

I think it was the morning after her birthday that was a complete disaster. She wouldn't get dressed, got upset because she wanted to restart Ian's swing and it wouldn't start, got put in a timeout for throwing her magnifying glass, got upset about how her hot chocolate was on the table and left it, finally went back to the table after I said it was time to get jackets on and screamed that she  wanted breakfast... so she ended up being carried out to the car (still screaming) with no shoes, no jacket, and no breakfast. She apparently was very well-behaved that day, and we've had a lot fewer problems in the morning.


She can now get dressed entirely by herself (except for buttons and starting zippers). She can get shirts off and on, with some wriggling, and socks on. We've compromised on clothes; she's still wearing summer frocks, but with a shirt on and tights or pants. Still working on the shoes, but it's been nice out so socks and sandals kind of works.

Favorite Isabellisms:
Warm-leggers (leg warmers)
Daddy, I like you today


Ian had his two month appointment, which included shots. He is 15lbs, 9 in, in the 75th percentile, but the 95th for length. Almost half Isabella's current weight. He took his shots well - only cried for about 20 seconds, but wailed for a long time when I took his bandaids off later. He is now attending to things, and has discovered that his arms belong to him and can be used to bat things around. And grab mom's hair. He's also fascinated by the kick and play, since it makes noise and lights when he kicks it. He has also spontaneously fallen asleep - I was taking him out of his car seat, laid him down on the mat to go put something down, and came back to find him asleep.

He's still sleeping 5-8 hours straight in the night. It does lead to some nursing problems - I keep thinking he's going to choke, especially with the stuffed up nose - and then he often upchucks a fair amount afterwards (over me, of course). Burping beforehand doesn't seem to help. I think he just gets too much.

No comments: