Sunday, February 28, 2010

Isabella hangs around, Ian sits up

Isabella was inspired by another little girl to put her harness on (didn't actually use it). They did finally put a big rock with a good hold where she could reach it (and hang from it). She really likes to climb - I'd like to build her wall for her, but then we'd have to carry it with us...

She can also jump with two feet and turn half way around, spin 3/4 of the way around on one foot, and stand like a tree. And she can get dressed while standing up - stand on one foot and put the other in. She rode her tricycle by herself for the first time - I know she pedals them around at daycare all the time, but she hasn't done it at home before. And she can put her head underwater (we had our first swim class this weekend where she didn't say no I don't want to go  - maybe Grandma's influence?)

I've declared Ian officially sitting up. He still topples over (slowly) but can catch himself. Oh, it is so nice to be able to set him on the floor! Even if he wants me sitting with him (or with him and Isabella) he's at least grabbing and chewing on toys, not *me*. And it makes it easier to play with Isabella. He can lift his chest up, and has got his knees under him once or twice, but still scoots backwards. He really, really wants to be moving. He had his first shopping cart ride - kind of tilted over at the end, and slept solidly for an hour after that. Also had his first bath, complicated a bit by the fact that Isabella wanted in the bath too. The rubber ducky bathtub floats...

Ian and I took our first solo trip together to LA for a siggraph meeting. He was the hit of the party - the guys were fighting over him. I think I only had him for a few hours the entire day. He was an angel, of course. Not a fuss out of him (until we got back to the hotel room). Flight went well, although hauling a suitcase, kid, backpack and carseat is hard. Lots of helping hands. First class on the way out, and a whole row to myself on the way back. Good practice, since I'm going to be doing it again most of next month...

Note to self: do not come back from the west coast only to have hubby leave that day... Caitlin and Denis kindly took care of Isabella while Bill and I did a car exchange at the airport. She made chocolate covered strawberries with hearts (which got et as soon as we got home), learned how to play dominoes, and just generally had a good time. No daycare on Monday, so we tried the backup care thing for the first time. Fortunately, got a very competent woman (Ros) who was able to handle them both while I worked upstairs. But I was very tired for several days. We've been passing around some bug.

No comments: