Sunday, April 1, 2007

Apr 1st

April 1st:

Went to the zoo today, along with lots of other people. Saw 3-4 Snugli-style carriers, and two slings! Ran into Mike Swartout with his backpack carrier. Went to dinner at Momas with Robert and Andrea. Had to go early (5PM) so that we would finish before bed time. She did very well, stayed dry the entire time (!) and generally not too fussy.

Some time in the last week or so she discovered high C. Only does it when she's very excited, but it is ear piercing. She added a leaky balloon A or E sound to it just after. Just loves to sit there while pooping and make noise.

I'm an idiot and finally figured out that you could *sit* the baby on the potty. So now we're sitting, which is easier on the back, but she'd much rather sit there and play with toys than pee. She still prefers to poop in the sink. Discovered that if she isn't peeing at the normal time, it probably means she needs to poop. She can actually sit unsupported for a few seconds on the potty if she's leaning on the toy box.

She's also discovered how to arch her back and end up on her side in order to reach more toys. She's getting squirmy enough that it isn't safe to leave her on anything high or to try to carry her in one arm. She likes to arch back at random.

She's still waking up every two hours (or even every hour) at night, although she's reliably going to sleep between 7 and 9 and waking up between 6 and 8. She had a stretch of long (four hour!) nap times the week of March 19th. Now she seems to be back to her usual cat naps. But it's gotten really easy to get her to sleep in the bouncy chair down in the basement, which is an awful lot easier than walking around in the sling. On the downside, she isn't really sleeping in the
sling anymore, except for an occasional cat nap.

We think teething has started. She had one night (the 24th?) where she was in obvious pain. We finally gave her some tylenol and that seemed to help. She's chewing on her hand a lot, which she was doing anyway, but seems to be trying to get one part of her mouth. She's also drooling all over everything, and up-chucking more frequently.

Night time EC'ing is a disaster - two to four wet diapers, usually. She doesn't want to pee on the potty, and I'm too tired to offer sometimes. She's thrasing around so much that I'm sometimes
sleeping at the foot of the bed. Bill's exiled, especially with alergies starting, since I can't deal with thrashing, waking every
hour or two, and snoring. At least I'm still catching the morning
poops! The poops are starting to be a bit more thick, and we're down
to two and a half to three and a half poops a day, although they've
gotten bigger.

She may finally be extending how long she goes between pees. More
like 25 minutes, rather than twenty. And she can clearly hold it for a
while in the sling.

I think she got longer again last week, although it's hard to
tell. She likes doing "starfish girl" - extending arms and legs and
going rigid, then pounding on her stomach with straight arms. Very
entertaining, but a bit hard on the arms.

She hardly ever fusses now, except when she's tired and wants to be
asleep. Sometimes I can leave her playing on her mat or in the chair
for a fairly long while before she gets bored. Although today she
seems to want to be picked up and carried around.

I can fairly reliably pop her off when she falls asleep nursing and
move her to the basement. Much easier on the nipples. She's still
nursing fairly frequently (every hour to every two hours) but a lot of
the time it seems to just be to poop or to go to sleep. Although she's
ravenous when she wakes up from a long nap.

I actually snuck outside and did some gardening. I'm much more
efficient now that I have very limited time. Went to the garden store
last week and got some flowers and vegetables. Unfortunately, I think
I may miss the next shipment because I'll be at Cori's. The painters
are starting this week; bird is a bit freaked out.

The cradle cap is coming back. Tried the Baby Shea stuff on it, and
it seems to be keeping it at bay.

No comments: