The flight from LAX to London was around 10 hours. Isabella slept pretty well - fell asleep and hour or two after takeoff and slept until landing. Mom only slept about an hour though - in 15 minute chunks. There was just no way to get comfortable with a small child sprawled across my lap.
Her favorite things on the airplane is playing with the earplugs and the remote control. Which does make it a bit difficult to watch one of the movies.
We had a long layover in London, in their shiny new terminal 5 (which has no drinking fountains or kid play areas, but does have a few cushy chairs to sleep in). Fortunately, in Geneva they had a special shuttle so we didn't have to deal with the bus to get the last little bit to Annecy. They didn't really have a car seat, so baby and mom ended up falling asleep in the shuttle with baby in the lap. Not ideal, but oh well.
They set up a crib for us at the hotel, but we never managed to get her to sleep in it. She woke up lots of times the first night, so I didn't get much sleep, and a fair number of times the second night... fortunately, by the time Bill left for Scotland she was a bit better adjusted.
We never managed to get any pictures in France - too busy with Bill working on his proposal and me in the conference. We did have lots of lovely meals, mostly sitting outside, with small person sitting in my lap. She really liked the macaroni and cheese and the crepes. It rained a lot, and she had fun splashing around in the puddles. There were a couple playgrounds, too, so we took her to those. They have lots of things to climb on and sand to pour.
She walked back from dinner one night - a good 10 minute walk for us adults walking fast. I took her out in the Mai Tai sling one night while Bill wanted to get some work done. She fell asleep on the walk over to where I was meeting everyone, so I spent some time sitting on the steps with her asleep on my back. I ended up in somebody's video tape and someone's photographs. Sigh.
I had a bit of an incident with the French self-cleaning bathroom. I'd taken Isabella and the backpack in, and was on my way out when she changed her mind and back in we went. Only the toilet thought we had left and proceeded to clean itself. And lock the door. So I was left trying to hold up a screaming child and the backpack while water gushed out over the floor. Sigh.
Bill had a couple nights in Scotland by himself with Isabella. They got on fine, minus Isabella waking up, cranky, at 5am every morning. Even fell asleep in Grandma's arms while Bill went up to Aberdeen to pick me up.
No comments:
Post a Comment